Mother of deceased in Dinakaran attack case files review plea
Madurai: The mother of one of the deceased in the 2007 `Dinakaran` newspaper office attack case today filed a revision petition in Madras High Court here, challenging the acquittal of 17 persons in the case.
The petitioner, Poongodi, mother of Vinodh who died in the incident, sought to condone the delay of 1,434 days in filing the petition against the acquittal by Madurai District and Sessions Court. The case is likely to be taken up for hearing tomorrow or the day after.
The Tamil daily is owned by the Maran brothers -Kalanidhi and former Union Minister Dayanidhi, grand nephews of former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi.
Three employees of the daily were killed in the attack on the office on May 9, 2007, following the publication of a survey which gave an edge to then Deputy Chief Minister and Karunanidhi`s son M K Stalin over his brother Union Minister Alagiri to succeed their father.
The case was filed by police and transferred to CBI which named 17 persons, including a DSP, as accused in the case. DSP V Rajaram was accused of failing to take steps to prevent the incident.
The District court had acquitted all the accused on December 9, 2009, saying the prosecution failed to prove the case beyond all reasonable doubt.
The CBI, after a long delay preferred an appeal before the Madurai Bench stating the delay was due to the perusal of its petition by the Law Ministry and special advocate of the ministry which was challenged by Rajaram.
He contended that the CBI cannot prefer an appeal as the state only had to prefer the appeal against the acquittal.
Both the cases were pending before the Court.
Meanwhile, one of the de facto complainants and the mother of the deceased approached the court challenging the acquittal of the 17 persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?