Mullaperiar: Vaiko to launch new protest
Chennai: Protesting against Kerala officials allegedly preventing their Tamil Nadu counterparts from taking up further repair work at the controversial Mullaperiar Dam, MDMK founder Vaiko today announced he would lead a protest at Cumbum in Theni district bordering Kerala on June 16.
He alleged that police and Forest department officials of Kerala had prevented supply of cement and other materials required to fill up holes in the dam, insisting that this will affect the structure with the upcoming monsoons.
"The Centre is just watching Kerala`s atrocity", he said in a party statement.
The leader had earlier spearheaded an economic blockade against Kerala in the backdrop of its insistence to demolish the existing 116-year-old structure citing safety concerns, while Tamil Nadu is opposed to the proposal.
A case is on in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you