Mullaperiar: Vaiko to launch new protest
Chennai: Protesting against Kerala officials allegedly preventing their Tamil Nadu counterparts from taking up further repair work at the controversial Mullaperiar Dam, MDMK founder Vaiko today announced he would lead a protest at Cumbum in Theni district bordering Kerala on June 16.
He alleged that police and Forest department officials of Kerala had prevented supply of cement and other materials required to fill up holes in the dam, insisting that this will affect the structure with the upcoming monsoons.
"The Centre is just watching Kerala`s atrocity", he said in a party statement.
The leader had earlier spearheaded an economic blockade against Kerala in the backdrop of its insistence to demolish the existing 116-year-old structure citing safety concerns, while Tamil Nadu is opposed to the proposal.
A case is on in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say