Mullaperiyar: Councillors observe one-day fast
Coimbatore: All 34 councillors, including the chairman of Mettupalayam municipality in the district observed a one-day fast, condemning Kerala government`s attitude on the Mullaperiyar dam issue and demanded that the state abide by the Supreme Court order of 2006.
The agitators urged the Centre to immediately intervene
and find a solution to the issue and asked Kerala to abide by
the Apex Court verdict to increase the dam height to 142 feet
from the present 136 feet, police said.
Meanwhile, nearly 200 shops in Mangalam in nearby Tirupur
district and 1,000 shops in Coonoor in Nilgiris district
downed shutters over the issue.
A total of 1,200 autorickshaws in Udhagamandalam and 800
in Coonoor remained off the roads, demanding that Kerala
immediately implement the Supreme Court verdict, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown