Mullaperiyar: Councillors observe one-day fast
Coimbatore: All 34 councillors, including the chairman of Mettupalayam municipality in the district observed a one-day fast, condemning Kerala government`s attitude on the Mullaperiyar dam issue and demanded that the state abide by the Supreme Court order of 2006.
The agitators urged the Centre to immediately intervene
and find a solution to the issue and asked Kerala to abide by
the Apex Court verdict to increase the dam height to 142 feet
from the present 136 feet, police said.
Meanwhile, nearly 200 shops in Mangalam in nearby Tirupur
district and 1,000 shops in Coonoor in Nilgiris district
downed shutters over the issue.
A total of 1,200 autorickshaws in Udhagamandalam and 800
in Coonoor remained off the roads, demanding that Kerala
immediately implement the Supreme Court verdict, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj