Mullaperiyar: Councillors observe one-day fast
Coimbatore: All 34 councillors, including the chairman of Mettupalayam municipality in the district observed a one-day fast, condemning Kerala government`s attitude on the Mullaperiyar dam issue and demanded that the state abide by the Supreme Court order of 2006.
The agitators urged the Centre to immediately intervene
and find a solution to the issue and asked Kerala to abide by
the Apex Court verdict to increase the dam height to 142 feet
from the present 136 feet, police said.
Meanwhile, nearly 200 shops in Mangalam in nearby Tirupur
district and 1,000 shops in Coonoor in Nilgiris district
downed shutters over the issue.
A total of 1,200 autorickshaws in Udhagamandalam and 800
in Coonoor remained off the roads, demanding that Kerala
immediately implement the Supreme Court verdict, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire