Mullaperiyar dam: Jaya thanks PM for constituting Supervisory Committee
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Wednesday thanked the NDA government for constituting a Supervisory Committee for raising the water level of Mullaperiyar dam to 142 ft initially in lines with the Supreme Court order.
In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Jayalalithaa said the state government had received the orders of Union Ministry of Water Resources constituting the committee and `sincerely` thanked him for acceding to her demand in this regard, taken up during their meeting on June 2, in Delhi.
"I fervently hope that the Supervisory Committee will accomplish the task of restoration of water storage level in the Mullaperiyar dam to 142 ft initially as per the judgement and order of the Supreme Court during the current southwest monsoon period itself," she said in her letter.
The apex Court had on May 7, held that the 120-year-old Mullaperiyar dam was safe and allowed the Tamil Nadu government to raise the water level to 142 feet initially and ultimately to 152 ft after completion of strengthening measures on the dam.
Later, on June 18 the Union Cabinet chaired by Modi had approved constitution of a three-member Supervisory Committee for this purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala