Mullaperiyar dam: Jaya thanks PM for constituting Supervisory Committee
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Wednesday thanked the NDA government for constituting a Supervisory Committee for raising the water level of Mullaperiyar dam to 142 ft initially in lines with the Supreme Court order.
In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Jayalalithaa said the state government had received the orders of Union Ministry of Water Resources constituting the committee and `sincerely` thanked him for acceding to her demand in this regard, taken up during their meeting on June 2, in Delhi.
"I fervently hope that the Supervisory Committee will accomplish the task of restoration of water storage level in the Mullaperiyar dam to 142 ft initially as per the judgement and order of the Supreme Court during the current southwest monsoon period itself," she said in her letter.
The apex Court had on May 7, held that the 120-year-old Mullaperiyar dam was safe and allowed the Tamil Nadu government to raise the water level to 142 feet initially and ultimately to 152 ft after completion of strengthening measures on the dam.
Later, on June 18 the Union Cabinet chaired by Modi had approved constitution of a three-member Supervisory Committee for this purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof