Mullaperiyar dam: PMK seeks special assly session
Chennai: PMK on Tuesday sought a special
assembly session to discuss and pass a resolution on the
controversial Mullaperiyar dam issue, insisting that the
Centre implement the Supreme Court order of 2006 to raise the
water storage level.
The party`s founder leader Dr S Ramadoss alleged that the
Centre was remaining a silent spectator all along as some
forces in Delhi are taking sides with Kerala.
"Though six districts in Tamil Nadu will be badly
affected if the present dam is dismantled and a new one
constructed in its place, Kerala has created an illusion to
make it appear they will be the ones who are affected," he
said in a statement.
He also alleged that successive DMK and AIADMK
governments had been "lethargic" in implementing the Supreme
Court`s February 2006 order to raise the water level from 136
feet to 142 feet Mullaiperiyar dam.
Observing that the Tamil Nadu government has not yet
criticised Kerala`s attitude over the issue, he said "the
state will tend to lose if we remain silent any longer."
Kerala has been demanding that the Centre intervene
immediately to persuade Tamil Nadu to agree to its proposal of
a new dam, holding that the present structure poses a threat
to nearly three million people, mainly in Idukki, Kottayam and
However, Tamil Nadu is opposed to it, asserting that the
reservoir "is as safe and good as new" and has accused Kerala
of whipping up a fear psychosis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof