Mullaperiyar dam row: LDF flays Centre
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M)-led LDF opposition in
Kerala today came down heavily on the Centre for its
"reluctance" to intervene in the Mullaperiyar dam row between
the state and Tamil Nadu despite assurances given by Prime
Minister to an all-party delegation from the state.
"It is almost a month since Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
promised an all-party delegation from Kerala that the Centre
would intervene to resolve the tangle. But nothing has
happened so far," LDF convener Vaikom Viswan told reporters
after a meeting of the coalition`s state committee here.
The Centre was not only showing "lack of interest" in
resolving the issue but also it appeared that it was taking
positions "favourable" to Tamil Nadu ignoring the just demands
of Kerala, he alleged.
Attacking the Oommen Chandy Government, he said it appeared
that the national and state leadership of the Congress were
moving with a "secret agenda" that would weaken the state`s
This was against the spirit of the resolution adopted by
the state assembly and the consensus at an all-party meet,both
of which reflected the public opinion in the state, he said.
The CPI(M) leader said the LDF was of the firm view that
construction of a new dam was the only solution to the
dispute. At the same time, this should be achieved without in
any way rupturing the good relationship with Tamil Nadu.
Viswan said this position was not at variance with the
stand of the CPI(M)`s national leadership.
The LDF would organise campaigns throughout the state to
tell people of the recent developments regarding the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state