Mullaperiyar Dam storage to increase under new government: Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalaltihaa Friday expressed her doubts about the centre setting up a committee to supervise increasing the Mullaperiyar Dam storage level and added the new government will take necessary action.
The new government will be formed after results of the ongoing Lok Sabha election are declared May 16.
In a statement issued here, Jayalalithaa said the state government, while nominating its member, has written to the centre to form a committee to supervise raising the water storage level in the dam to 142 feet.
She said the central and the Kerala governments have to nominate one member each in the proposed panel as ordered by the Supreme Court in its recent judgment on the dam dispute.
The apex court Wednesday struck down the 2006 Kerala act that sought to restrict the water level in the dam at 136 feet.
The chief minister said the state government has already taken preliminary steps towards increasing the dam`s storage level.
She also criticised DMK president M. Karunanidhi for remaining silent on the issue when his party was in power both at the centre and in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Euro 2016: Despite another failure, Spain reluctant to change 'tiki-taka' style of play
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final