Mullaperiyar Dam storage to increase under new government: Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalaltihaa Friday expressed her doubts about the centre setting up a committee to supervise increasing the Mullaperiyar Dam storage level and added the new government will take necessary action.
The new government will be formed after results of the ongoing Lok Sabha election are declared May 16.
In a statement issued here, Jayalalithaa said the state government, while nominating its member, has written to the centre to form a committee to supervise raising the water storage level in the dam to 142 feet.
She said the central and the Kerala governments have to nominate one member each in the proposed panel as ordered by the Supreme Court in its recent judgment on the dam dispute.
The apex court Wednesday struck down the 2006 Kerala act that sought to restrict the water level in the dam at 136 feet.
The chief minister said the state government has already taken preliminary steps towards increasing the dam`s storage level.
She also criticised DMK president M. Karunanidhi for remaining silent on the issue when his party was in power both at the centre and in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?