Mullaperiyar Dam: Traders bandh in Erode
Erode: Shops and business establishments in the district remained shut on Friday in response to a bandh call given by Erode traders` associations expressing support
to the Tamil Nadu government`s stand on Mullaperiyar dam, a bone of contention with neighbouring Kerala for long.
Shops belonging to the Kerala Samaj, Erode, also downed shutters supporting Tamil Nadu`s stand, Samaj sources said.
Hotels remained shut while the Municipal daily market was closed after 7 am. Autorickshaws were also off the roads.
However Pharmacies and petroleum retail outlets were functioning as usual. Arrival of vegetables to the market was limited, trade sources said, adding, the turmeric market also declared a holiday.
The Federation of All Traders Associations of Erode appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to intervene immediately and hold talks between the two states.
It also wanted the Prime Minister to advise Kerala to abide by a Supreme Court verdict on raising the water level to 142 feet and not allow construction of a new dam in place of the existing 116-year-old structure as demanded by the
Kerala wants decommissioning of the reservoir citing safety concerns which is opposed by Tamil Nadu where the dam`s water is used for irrigation in five districts--Madurai, Theni, Ramanathapuram, Sivaganga and Dindigul.
Traders` outfits in these districts had observed a bandh yesterday protesting Kerala`s stand on the dam issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth