Mullaperiyar: HC asks Engineers Assn to approach S
Madurai: Madurai Bench of the Madras High court on Monday advised the Tamil Nadu PWD Senior Engineers Association not to sensationalise the Mullaperiyar Dam issue, and wondered whether the High court could interfere when the Supreme Court was seized of the matter.
Asking the petitioner to approach the Supreme Court directly, a Division Bench of Justice Chitra Venkatraman and Justice Karuppiah said it was the duty of the government to protect the rights of the people.
The bench was hearing a petition filed by the Association vice-president RVS Vijayakumar seeking a direction to remove illegal encroachments in the Mullaiperiyar dam area.
"The case is pending in Supreme court. We cannot presume there is encroachment. We don`t see the need to superimpose on the matter. We cannot interfere in the matter pending before the Supreme Court", the court held.
However, the case has been posted for further hearing next week as the petitioner submitted that senior counsel would be appearing.
The Kerala government advocate said the empowered committee appointed by the Supreme Court was looking into all the issues. It was contended that the writ petition was not maintainable as the dam was under Kerala High court
jurisdiction, and the apex court was seized of the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!