Mullaperiyar: HC asks Engineers Assn to approach S
Madurai: Madurai Bench of the Madras High court on Monday advised the Tamil Nadu PWD Senior Engineers Association not to sensationalise the Mullaperiyar Dam issue, and wondered whether the High court could interfere when the Supreme Court was seized of the matter.
Asking the petitioner to approach the Supreme Court directly, a Division Bench of Justice Chitra Venkatraman and Justice Karuppiah said it was the duty of the government to protect the rights of the people.
The bench was hearing a petition filed by the Association vice-president RVS Vijayakumar seeking a direction to remove illegal encroachments in the Mullaiperiyar dam area.
"The case is pending in Supreme court. We cannot presume there is encroachment. We don`t see the need to superimpose on the matter. We cannot interfere in the matter pending before the Supreme Court", the court held.
However, the case has been posted for further hearing next week as the petitioner submitted that senior counsel would be appearing.
The Kerala government advocate said the empowered committee appointed by the Supreme Court was looking into all the issues. It was contended that the writ petition was not maintainable as the dam was under Kerala High court
jurisdiction, and the apex court was seized of the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA