Mullaperiyar: `Only state govt can seek Central forces’
Madurai: The Centre today said Central security forces could not be deployed at the Mullaperiyar dam site unless the Tamil Nadu government sought such a
In a counter filed in the Madras High Court bench here,
in response to a petition by Tamil Nadu PWD Senior Engineers
Association, Neeraj Kansal, director (Personnel) Police II
division of the Ministry of Home Affairs, said security
personnel such as CRPF, CISF could not be granted by the
Ministry unless the state government concerned sought such a
Besides, the Supreme Court itself had rejected such a
plea after recording the assurance of the state of Kerala to
do all that was necessary to protect the dam, the Ministry
The Kerala government had also said steps had been taken
by the local police and forest officials to ensure the safety
of the dam, the ministry said.
The ministry had filed the counter in response to a writ
petition by Tamil Nadu PWD Senior Engineers Association, which
had sought deployment of Central forces and fire service
personnel, removal of alleged encroachments in the dam area,
and also protection to the PWD employees and their families in
the dam site, and also Ayyappa devotees visiting Kerala.
Centre had no control over the reliefs sought by the
association, the ministry said in its counter.
Regarding the prayer for removal of alleged illegal
encroachment, the ministry said `police and public order` were
state subjects and the responsibility to remove the alleged
encroachments lies with the state government of Kerala.
Citing safety concerns, Kerala has been insisting on
building a new dam in place of the 116-year-old reservoir.
Kerala`s stand is opposed by Tamil Nadu, which controls the
existing reservoir that irrigates five southern districts in
the state, saying it is "as good as new" after measures taken
to strengthen it.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today