Mullaperiyar: SC allows TN plea for repairs, maintenance works for dam
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday allowed Tamil Nadu`s plea to carry out some repairs and maintenance works for controversial Mullaperiyar Dam in Kerala`s Idduki district.
A five-judge Constitution bench of justices DK Jain, RM Lodha, Deepak Verma, CK Prasad and AR Dave also permitted the Kerala government to have copies of the technical report, which was relied upon by the apex court`s empowered committee to conclude that the dam was "structurally and hydrologically safe."
After passing the direction, the apex court posted the matter for further hearing after four weeks.
The bench earlier had granted permission to the Kerala and Tamil Nadu to get copies of the monitoring committee`s report on the Mullaperiyar Dam row.
The empowered committee, set up by the apex court in February 2010 to look into all aspects of dam, had submitted its report to the apex court in a sealed cover on April 25.
The five-member committee headed by former Chief Justice of India AS Anand, which had finalised the report, is understood to have examined all aspects of the 119-year-old dam including its safety.
There has been tension between the two states over the safety of the dam. While Tamil Nadu contends that the dam is safe and its water level has to be raised from 132 ft to 136 ft, Kerala says the structure is weak and it has to be replaced with a new one.
As tension rose between the two states in December last year, a two-member technical team of the Empowered Committee visited the site and concluded that recent tremors in that region did not have any impact on the Mullaperiyar Dam and that it was safe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj