Mullaperiyar: Traders` Bandh at Gobichettipalayam
Erode: A hartal was observed by traders at Gobichettipalayam, 40 km from here on Friday, protesting Kerala government`s stand on constructing a new dam to replace the existing structure at Mullaperiyar.
Shops remained closed on account of the protest.
However, the `Uzhavar shandy` (farmers fair) was conducted. A few farmers brought and sold their vegetables. Schools and colleges, however, functioned as usual.
Police pickets were posted at all places and heavy police guard was provided near shops run by Keralites.
Traders also observed a fast.
Meanwhile, business establishments run by Keralites remained closed for the second day, fearing attacks.
Police said 19 persons involved in attacks on shops owned by Keralites on Thursday at Cauvery road had been arrested and remanded to custody.
- Your depressed better-half can make you sad too!
- 70% want Narendra Modi to be PM till 2024, 62% happy with his performance: Survey
- Chhota Rajan faces death threat from Chhota Shakeel while in Tihar
- World's largest telescope may be set up in Ladakh
- Top quotes by PM Narendra Modi at launch of free LPG scheme for poor families