Mullaperiyar: Traders` Bandh at Gobichettipalayam
Erode: A hartal was observed by traders at Gobichettipalayam, 40 km from here on Friday, protesting Kerala government`s stand on constructing a new dam to replace the existing structure at Mullaperiyar.
Shops remained closed on account of the protest.
However, the `Uzhavar shandy` (farmers fair) was conducted. A few farmers brought and sold their vegetables. Schools and colleges, however, functioned as usual.
Police pickets were posted at all places and heavy police guard was provided near shops run by Keralites.
Traders also observed a fast.
Meanwhile, business establishments run by Keralites remained closed for the second day, fearing attacks.
Police said 19 persons involved in attacks on shops owned by Keralites on Thursday at Cauvery road had been arrested and remanded to custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan