Mullaperiyar: Traders` Bandh at Gobichettipalayam
Erode: A hartal was observed by traders at Gobichettipalayam, 40 km from here on Friday, protesting Kerala government`s stand on constructing a new dam to replace the existing structure at Mullaperiyar.
Shops remained closed on account of the protest.
However, the `Uzhavar shandy` (farmers fair) was conducted. A few farmers brought and sold their vegetables. Schools and colleges, however, functioned as usual.
Police pickets were posted at all places and heavy police guard was provided near shops run by Keralites.
Traders also observed a fast.
Meanwhile, business establishments run by Keralites remained closed for the second day, fearing attacks.
Police said 19 persons involved in attacks on shops owned by Keralites on Thursday at Cauvery road had been arrested and remanded to custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez