Mullaperiyar: Traders` Bandh at Gobichettipalayam
Erode: A hartal was observed by traders at Gobichettipalayam, 40 km from here on Friday, protesting Kerala government`s stand on constructing a new dam to replace the existing structure at Mullaperiyar.
Shops remained closed on account of the protest.
However, the `Uzhavar shandy` (farmers fair) was conducted. A few farmers brought and sold their vegetables. Schools and colleges, however, functioned as usual.
Police pickets were posted at all places and heavy police guard was provided near shops run by Keralites.
Traders also observed a fast.
Meanwhile, business establishments run by Keralites remained closed for the second day, fearing attacks.
Police said 19 persons involved in attacks on shops owned by Keralites on Thursday at Cauvery road had been arrested and remanded to custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown