Nalini moves HC seeking to quash charges framed against her
Chennai: One of the main accused in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, S Nalini, whose death sentence was commuted to life, on Thursday moved the Madras High Court seeking to quash the charges framed against her, in a case of keeping a cellphone in the prison cell.
Nalini, who is presently in the special prison for women at Vellore, was charged with keeping a cellphone in her possession, a prohibited article and for preventing officials from discharging their duties and attempting to hide the article.
During a search conducted by the Superintendent of Special Prison for Women at Vellore, Nalini was found to have been in possession of a cellphone, on which a case was registered by the Inspector of Police, Bagayam Police Station, Vellore, on the complaint of the Prison Superintendent.
The case was adjourned to August 30 by the Vellore Judicial Magistrate for the purpose of cross examination.
Nalini had filed a criminal original petition in the Madras High Court seeking to quash the charges against her on the ground that she was already awarded with a major punishment for the above offence by reducing the class of her cell in the prison from high to low.
Hence, she cannot be tried for the same offence by giving a complaint to police authorities by prison officials and the charges framed against her was without jurisdiction, she contended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH