Nalini moves HC seeking to quash charges framed against her
Chennai: One of the main accused in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, S Nalini, whose death sentence was commuted to life, on Thursday moved the Madras High Court seeking to quash the charges framed against her, in a case of keeping a cellphone in the prison cell.
Nalini, who is presently in the special prison for women at Vellore, was charged with keeping a cellphone in her possession, a prohibited article and for preventing officials from discharging their duties and attempting to hide the article.
During a search conducted by the Superintendent of Special Prison for Women at Vellore, Nalini was found to have been in possession of a cellphone, on which a case was registered by the Inspector of Police, Bagayam Police Station, Vellore, on the complaint of the Prison Superintendent.
The case was adjourned to August 30 by the Vellore Judicial Magistrate for the purpose of cross examination.
Nalini had filed a criminal original petition in the Madras High Court seeking to quash the charges against her on the ground that she was already awarded with a major punishment for the above offence by reducing the class of her cell in the prison from high to low.
Hence, she cannot be tried for the same offence by giving a complaint to police authorities by prison officials and the charges framed against her was without jurisdiction, she contended.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'