Nation should be called United States of India, says MDMK
Kancheepuram: MDMK, a strong votary
of state autonomy, today demanded that the Constitution be
"thoroughly reviewed" to give the country a "true federal set
up" and the nation be called United States of India, instead
of Union of India.
At a special conference here, Marumalarchi Dravida
Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) said DMK founder late C N Annadurai
had given up the demand for a separate Dravidian state, but
while doing so, had stated that reasons for that concept
remained and the party wanted autonomy for states.
"To establish a true federal nation, the Constitution
should undergo a thorough review and the nation should be
called United States of India, instead of Union of India," the
MDMK, an offshoot of the DMK and floated by Vaiko, said in a
resolution passed at the meet.
Reiterating its commitment to set up a separate
homeland for Sri Lankan Tamils in their country, another
resolution said Tamils in India were duty-bound to remove them
from the `slavery` of Sri Lankan government.
"The MDMK will not compromise on its basic demand of
establishing Tamil Eelam," the resolution said.
Another resolution said the party would fight next
year`s polls to the Tamil Nadu assembly in alliance with
AIADMK to defeat the ruling DMK, which it alleged had imposed
an `unannounced emergency` in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate