Nation should be called United States of India, says MDMK
Kancheepuram: MDMK, a strong votary
of state autonomy, today demanded that the Constitution be
"thoroughly reviewed" to give the country a "true federal set
up" and the nation be called United States of India, instead
of Union of India.
At a special conference here, Marumalarchi Dravida
Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) said DMK founder late C N Annadurai
had given up the demand for a separate Dravidian state, but
while doing so, had stated that reasons for that concept
remained and the party wanted autonomy for states.
"To establish a true federal nation, the Constitution
should undergo a thorough review and the nation should be
called United States of India, instead of Union of India," the
MDMK, an offshoot of the DMK and floated by Vaiko, said in a
resolution passed at the meet.
Reiterating its commitment to set up a separate
homeland for Sri Lankan Tamils in their country, another
resolution said Tamils in India were duty-bound to remove them
from the `slavery` of Sri Lankan government.
"The MDMK will not compromise on its basic demand of
establishing Tamil Eelam," the resolution said.
Another resolution said the party would fight next
year`s polls to the Tamil Nadu assembly in alliance with
AIADMK to defeat the ruling DMK, which it alleged had imposed
an `unannounced emergency` in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi