Nation should be called United States of India, says MDMK
Kancheepuram: MDMK, a strong votary
of state autonomy, today demanded that the Constitution be
"thoroughly reviewed" to give the country a "true federal set
up" and the nation be called United States of India, instead
of Union of India.
At a special conference here, Marumalarchi Dravida
Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) said DMK founder late C N Annadurai
had given up the demand for a separate Dravidian state, but
while doing so, had stated that reasons for that concept
remained and the party wanted autonomy for states.
"To establish a true federal nation, the Constitution
should undergo a thorough review and the nation should be
called United States of India, instead of Union of India," the
MDMK, an offshoot of the DMK and floated by Vaiko, said in a
resolution passed at the meet.
Reiterating its commitment to set up a separate
homeland for Sri Lankan Tamils in their country, another
resolution said Tamils in India were duty-bound to remove them
from the `slavery` of Sri Lankan government.
"The MDMK will not compromise on its basic demand of
establishing Tamil Eelam," the resolution said.
Another resolution said the party would fight next
year`s polls to the Tamil Nadu assembly in alliance with
AIADMK to defeat the ruling DMK, which it alleged had imposed
an `unannounced emergency` in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy