Naval Air Stations will soon have UAVs
Chennai: As part of modernising the Navy, the
southern peninsula will soon have Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in
Naval Air Stations in Tamil Nadu.
"We will have Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) soon, maybe
by next year. They will be based in the air stations in Tamil
Nadu," a senior Naval official told reporters on board INS
Shivalik here today.
Navy has two naval air stations in the state - INS Rajali
at Arakkonam and INS Parundu at Uchipuli.
The Navy had joined hands with the Coastal Security Group
of Tamil Nadu Police and Indian Coast Guard in educating
fishermen along the Tamil Nadu coast on the importance of
International Maritime Boundary Line, the official said.
"We have seven units in the state and they are educating
the fishermen in their regions. It looks like it`s working and
the incidents of crossing the border is coming down," he said.
On Indian Navy`s part in tackling sea piracy, he said the
force was part of the international co-ordination of navies
and has been given a stretch of 500 nautical miles in the Gulf
"In this convoy system, we tell them (international
co-ordination centre) when our ships will be on either of the
sides and that information will be given to the civilian ships
that are crossing the area. Usually, we take with us some 15
ships safely to the other side," the official said.
Earlier, the Navy conducted an exercise with six naval
warships - INS Ranjir, INS Ranjit, INS Ranvijay, INS Shivalik,
INS Kirch and INS Airavat, as part of the Navy Week
celebrations off the Chennai coast in the Bay of Bengal.
Co-ordinated by Rear Admiral H C S Bisht, Flag Officer
Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command, the naval
exercises including jackstay and simulated gun firing that
lasted for almost the two-and-a-half hour sailing for 54 km.
"After 26/11, everybody is more sensitive to the threat
(through the sea) and so we have security forces exercises. We
are co-ordinating with all the agencies of the government,"
Rear Admiral H C S Bisht said.
He said the navy was expecting the indigenous aircraft
carrier which is now being built to join the force soon, apart
from INS Vikramaditya being built in Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM