‘NBW against Sri Lankan Minister is still pending’

Last Updated: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:40

Chennai: Police has objected to the
anticipatory bail petition filed by Sri Lankan Minister
Douglas Devananda before the Madras High Court in connection
with a 1986 murder case and said the Non Bailable Warrant
issued by a lower court in 1987 is still pending against him.
In his petition, Douglas claimed he was covered by
immunity offered as part of 1987 Indo-Sri Lankan accord. After
being enlarged on bail that year, he was `expatriated` to Sri
Lanka. So he believed the case had been dropped

Devananda, in his petition last week, had also
submitted he is ready to face trial and abide by any condition
imposed and that he would appear before it as and when
required.

Last year, Devanada had filed a petition challenging
the 1994 proclamation order pending in the lower court.

When the matter came up yesterday before Justice K N
Basha, police filed a counter, stating that the 10 accused are
evading appearance before the trial court and that the
proclamation procedures taken against them were in accordance
with law.

Though the proclamation was brought on notice in all
dailies in 1994, the petitioner till date has not taken any
steps to appear before the trial court, they said.
The Investigation Officer dismissed the petition filed
by the minister.

On December 8, 2010, the court had ruled that
Devananda was not pronounced a proclaimed offender in
connection with the case and directed him to seek anticipatory
bail with a direction to approach the trial court to recall
the NBW against him by showing cause for non-appearance.

Devananda`s visit to India as part of Sri Lankan
President Mahinda Rajapaksa-led delegation in June 2010 had
triggered a controversy after a pro-LTTE group filed a
petition seeking his arrest. However, he had claimed he was
covered by immunity offered as part of the Indo-Sri Lankan
Accord.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:40

comments powered by Disqus