NCTC: Consultations with CMs necessary, says Jaya
Chennai: Sticking to her guns, Tamil Nadu
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Wednesday said the Centre cannot
proceed on the proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre
(NCTC) without consulting Chief Ministers.
"We don`t think anything will proceed without
consultations with the Chief Ministers and we will continue to
press for what we feel is our legitimate right," she told
Her remarks come a day after the Opposition-sponsored
amendments to NCTC were defeated in the Rajya Sabha with
outside support of SP and BSP besides UPA constituent
Trinamool Congress coming to the rescue of Central government.
Holding that the constitution of NCTC was an attack on the
federal structure of the Constitutional framework,
Jayalalithaa had earlier written to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh demanding that Centre should have initiated a
consultation process through a formal communication.
Joining the chorus of Chief Ministers including Naveen
Patnaik (Odisha) and Mamata Banerjee (West Bengal) in opposing
the Centre in this issue, she had contended that NCTC will be
a "non-starter" without states` involvement.
On the issue of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant, which
received the state Cabinet`s go ahead on Monday, she said she
had given a detailed statement, holding it was safe. The local
population is opposing the plant citing safety concerns.
She recalled her government announcing a Rs 500 crore
special development package for the locals to be invested on
infrastructure and other amenities for fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- World's 60 million refugees need 2.78 mn surgeries a year
- PM Modi congratulates Mamata on her second innings as West Bengal CM
- Scientists discover new way to kill cancer cells
- Randeep Hooda-Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's 'Sarbjit' mints Rs 22.09 cr at Box Office!
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Sushil Kumar vs Narsingh Yadav – No final decision yet, Delhi HC defers hearing to May 30