NCW is insensitive towards women`s rights: Women forum
Chennai: The National Commission for Women is "insensitive" towards issues relating to women,since appointments in the organisation are often "political," a pro-CPI women`s forum said on Monday.
"NCW is so insensitive towards women`s rights. We have seen...NCW is a political appointment. It has no power, it has no autonomy," Annie Raja, General Secretary, National Federation of Indian Women told reporters here.
She was replying to a question on status of women in the country and institution`s measures to protect their rights.
The NCW chief, she said, had told women recently that if someone called them `sexy`, they should take it in a positive way. "That itself shows that she is not positive enough," she said.
Referring to the Guwahati molestation case, Raja said "She (NCW chief) said women and girls should dress up in a proper way. What is the proper way? Who decides? It is my right how to dress... She is not there to advise women."
"Basic issue is there is political appointment in such institutions. That should be stopped, unless and until that is stopped...Give full autonomy to National Commission of Women. Otherwise we cannot expect any justice from that organisation, unless some so sensitive lady comes to that top post."
Earlier she announced that the 19th Congress of National Federation of Indian Women would be held in Chennai between August 8 and 11.
The Congress would discuss the impact of "neo-liberal economic policies" on women, strengthening secularism, social oppression and right to food, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details