NCW is insensitive towards women`s rights: Women forum
Chennai: The National Commission for Women is "insensitive" towards issues relating to women,since appointments in the organisation are often "political," a pro-CPI women`s forum said on Monday.
"NCW is so insensitive towards women`s rights. We have seen...NCW is a political appointment. It has no power, it has no autonomy," Annie Raja, General Secretary, National Federation of Indian Women told reporters here.
She was replying to a question on status of women in the country and institution`s measures to protect their rights.
The NCW chief, she said, had told women recently that if someone called them `sexy`, they should take it in a positive way. "That itself shows that she is not positive enough," she said.
Referring to the Guwahati molestation case, Raja said "She (NCW chief) said women and girls should dress up in a proper way. What is the proper way? Who decides? It is my right how to dress... She is not there to advise women."
"Basic issue is there is political appointment in such institutions. That should be stopped, unless and until that is stopped...Give full autonomy to National Commission of Women. Otherwise we cannot expect any justice from that organisation, unless some so sensitive lady comes to that top post."
Earlier she announced that the 19th Congress of National Federation of Indian Women would be held in Chennai between August 8 and 11.
The Congress would discuss the impact of "neo-liberal economic policies" on women, strengthening secularism, social oppression and right to food, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'