NCW is insensitive towards women`s rights: Women forum
Chennai: The National Commission for Women is "insensitive" towards issues relating to women,since appointments in the organisation are often "political," a pro-CPI women`s forum said on Monday.
"NCW is so insensitive towards women`s rights. We have seen...NCW is a political appointment. It has no power, it has no autonomy," Annie Raja, General Secretary, National Federation of Indian Women told reporters here.
She was replying to a question on status of women in the country and institution`s measures to protect their rights.
The NCW chief, she said, had told women recently that if someone called them `sexy`, they should take it in a positive way. "That itself shows that she is not positive enough," she said.
Referring to the Guwahati molestation case, Raja said "She (NCW chief) said women and girls should dress up in a proper way. What is the proper way? Who decides? It is my right how to dress... She is not there to advise women."
"Basic issue is there is political appointment in such institutions. That should be stopped, unless and until that is stopped...Give full autonomy to National Commission of Women. Otherwise we cannot expect any justice from that organisation, unless some so sensitive lady comes to that top post."
Earlier she announced that the 19th Congress of National Federation of Indian Women would be held in Chennai between August 8 and 11.
The Congress would discuss the impact of "neo-liberal economic policies" on women, strengthening secularism, social oppression and right to food, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical