New LPG handling facility at Ennore expected to ease shortage
Chennai: Shortage of LPG supply to Tamil Nadu may soon became a thing of the past with the setting up of a new LPG handling facility at Ennore Port here.
Shipping Minister G K Vasan on Wednesday dedicated to the nation the LPG Import-Export facilities and additional terminal facilities for petroleum and chemicals projects at the port, aimed at overcoming hazardous long road transportation of LPG.
Until now, the imported LPG was transported by trucks from New Mangalore Port and Visakhapatnam Port to Chennai and the new facility, set up at a cost of Rs 167 crore would ensure "unterrupted supply of LPG to Tamil Nadu," Vasan said.
He said total demand of LPG in the state was 1,32,000 tonnes per month as against the indigenous availability of 32,000 per month.
The present expansion included additional storage and handling facilities for chemicals, petroleum products and petrochemicals, and LPG handling facilities like unloading arms and additional fire-fighting systems.
With the additional facilities, total storage capacity of the Marine Liquid Terminal stands at 2,43,000 kilolitres in 63 tanks.
The current expansion for additional storage facilities and LPG handling facilities would take the total investment at MLT to Rs 417 crore, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India