New LPG handling facility at Ennore expected to ease shortage
Chennai: Shortage of LPG supply to Tamil Nadu may soon became a thing of the past with the setting up of a new LPG handling facility at Ennore Port here.
Shipping Minister G K Vasan on Wednesday dedicated to the nation the LPG Import-Export facilities and additional terminal facilities for petroleum and chemicals projects at the port, aimed at overcoming hazardous long road transportation of LPG.
Until now, the imported LPG was transported by trucks from New Mangalore Port and Visakhapatnam Port to Chennai and the new facility, set up at a cost of Rs 167 crore would ensure "unterrupted supply of LPG to Tamil Nadu," Vasan said.
He said total demand of LPG in the state was 1,32,000 tonnes per month as against the indigenous availability of 32,000 per month.
The present expansion included additional storage and handling facilities for chemicals, petroleum products and petrochemicals, and LPG handling facilities like unloading arms and additional fire-fighting systems.
With the additional facilities, total storage capacity of the Marine Liquid Terminal stands at 2,43,000 kilolitres in 63 tanks.
The current expansion for additional storage facilities and LPG handling facilities would take the total investment at MLT to Rs 417 crore, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?