New ship to ferry tourists to Vivekananda memorial
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government on Thursday launched a new ship `M L Vivekananda`, built at a cost of Rs 1.8 crore, for ferrying people from the shores of Kanyakumari to the famous Swami Vivekananda Rock Memorial.
M L Vivekananda replaces M L Bhagirathi that was in service for about 36 years, an official release here said.
The ship, which can carry 150 passengers at a time, was built by state government owned-Poompuhar Shipping Corporation.
The ship was formally put into service by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa through video-conferencing from the Secretariat, here today, the release said.
Jayalalithaa also launched a 773.89 metre long new flyover in Cuddalore district, constructed at a cost of Rs 19 crore.
"With the construction of a new flyover, tourists travelling from Cuddalore, Chidambaram, Virudhachalam to places like Athur, Salem and other areas will be highly benefitted", the release said.
State Minister for Highways and Minor Ports Edappadi K Palaniswami, senior officials from Poompuhar Shipping Corporation and government officials were present on the occasion, it added.
Vivekananda Rock Memorial stands on one of two rocks located about 500 meters off mainland of Vavathurai in Kanyakumari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested