Next round of talks between fishermen of India, SL in Lanka
Chennai: After last week`s cordial talks between fishermen of India and Sri Lanka over fishing rights in Palk Straits, the next round of discussions would be held in Sri Lanka where amicable decisions would be taken, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said on Monday.
The two sides had agreed upon certain conditions, including use of specific types of fishing nets, she told the Assembly in her reply to the motion to thank the Governor for his address to the state Assembly.
During the talks, it was decided that pair trawling and purse seine types of fishing will not be used by both sides and those violating this could face action. These were banned in many states in India including Tamil Nadu, besides some countries, she said.
Further, certain types of fishing nets and trawlers will not be used by Tamil Nadu fishermen for 30 days starting February 10, she said.
"Following this, Sri Lankan fishermen representatives have invited Tamil Nadu fishermen for next round of talks in Sri Lanka and it will be held there where amicable decisions will be taken," she said.
She said the agreement reached upon in the January 27 meeting here would not affect a case in the Supreme Court filed by her, seeking retrieval of Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974 by way of a pact, which has since become a bone of contention between Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka.
Jayalalithaa, as Opposition Leader in 2008, had moved the apex court seeking the islet`s retrieval even as the state Revenue Department impleaded itself in the case after AIADMK formed government in 2011.
Criticising her archrival and DMK president M Karunanidhi, she said he was the Chief Minister then and though aware of the ceding by the then Congress government, had not launched any public protest to create awareness among people.
He should have cited the precedence of preventing of ceding of Berubari (West Bengal) to then East Pakistan as it also did not have the approval of Parliament, she said.
She said Karunanidhi "had supported, supports and will support the anti-Tamil Congress", in an apparent association between Congress and DMK, even after their split last year.
Though the two had parted ways over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue in March, Congress had supported Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi in the Rajya Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm