NGT pulls up Corporation, PWD for failure to check dumping at Marina
Chennai: Pulling up Chennai Corporation and Public Works Department for their failure to prevent dumping of debris at Marina beach, the Southern Bench of the National Green Tribunal warned them of stern action and directed them to submit a report on steps taken to clear it.
The Bench, comprising Judicial Member Justice M Chokkalingam and expert member Prof R Nagendran, said it could not remain a passive spectator and asked the officials present, "Is the corporation functioning?"
The matter pertains to a petition filed by one Saravanan on the basis of a report in an English daily on dumping of construction debris near Pattinapakkam Beach.
Citing the previous hearing of the petition, taken up by the tribunal 15 months back, the tribunal said the act of the authorities was "utter callousness."
When the authorities submitted that dumping was done at night, tribunal member Prof Nagendran asked whose job it was to clear the debris. "Do you feel the tribunal has to send its officials to stop this?"
The Tribunal directed the officials of both departments to report the steps taken by them to prevent illegal dumping and posted the matter for further hearing for September 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why