NGT pulls up Corporation, PWD for failure to check dumping at Marina
Chennai: Pulling up Chennai Corporation and Public Works Department for their failure to prevent dumping of debris at Marina beach, the Southern Bench of the National Green Tribunal warned them of stern action and directed them to submit a report on steps taken to clear it.
The Bench, comprising Judicial Member Justice M Chokkalingam and expert member Prof R Nagendran, said it could not remain a passive spectator and asked the officials present, "Is the corporation functioning?"
The matter pertains to a petition filed by one Saravanan on the basis of a report in an English daily on dumping of construction debris near Pattinapakkam Beach.
Citing the previous hearing of the petition, taken up by the tribunal 15 months back, the tribunal said the act of the authorities was "utter callousness."
When the authorities submitted that dumping was done at night, tribunal member Prof Nagendran asked whose job it was to clear the debris. "Do you feel the tribunal has to send its officials to stop this?"
The Tribunal directed the officials of both departments to report the steps taken by them to prevent illegal dumping and posted the matter for further hearing for September 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok