NHRC issues notice to TN on Sivakasi fire accident
Chennai: National Human Rights Commission on Friday issued a notice to the Tamil Nadu government on the Sivakasi fire accident that claimed 39 lives.
The notice to the Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary called for a report within four weeks on the fire in a cracker manufacturing unit near Sivakasi on September5.
The Commission issued the notice on the basis of a media report and complaints forwarded by an NGO representative and human rights activist, a NHRC statement said.
"Reportedly, about 90 per cent fireworks of the country are made in Sivakasi but no adequate safety measures have been ensured by the government. The complainants have requested a detailed enquiry in the matter and adequate compensation to the victims and families of the deceased," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM