NHRC issues notice to TN on Sivakasi fire accident
Chennai: National Human Rights Commission on Friday issued a notice to the Tamil Nadu government on the Sivakasi fire accident that claimed 39 lives.
The notice to the Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary called for a report within four weeks on the fire in a cracker manufacturing unit near Sivakasi on September5.
The Commission issued the notice on the basis of a media report and complaints forwarded by an NGO representative and human rights activist, a NHRC statement said.
"Reportedly, about 90 per cent fireworks of the country are made in Sivakasi but no adequate safety measures have been ensured by the government. The complainants have requested a detailed enquiry in the matter and adequate compensation to the victims and families of the deceased," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing