NHRC issues notice to TN on Sivakasi fire accident
Chennai: National Human Rights Commission on Friday issued a notice to the Tamil Nadu government on the Sivakasi fire accident that claimed 39 lives.
The notice to the Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary called for a report within four weeks on the fire in a cracker manufacturing unit near Sivakasi on September5.
The Commission issued the notice on the basis of a media report and complaints forwarded by an NGO representative and human rights activist, a NHRC statement said.
"Reportedly, about 90 per cent fireworks of the country are made in Sivakasi but no adequate safety measures have been ensured by the government. The complainants have requested a detailed enquiry in the matter and adequate compensation to the victims and families of the deceased," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state