NHRC issues notice to TN Police
Chennai: The National Human Rights
Commission (NHRC) has issued notices to the Director General of Tamil Nadu Police and the Madurai Collector on allegations that a 14-year-old student lost vision in one eye due to torture by police.
They have been asked to submit a report within four weeks, an NHRC release said.
Pathampriyan belonging to Kuravar community (a gypsy community) was picked up by the police on September 24 from his residence on the allegation that he committed theft near Thiruthangal village in Virudhunagar District, it said.
Thereafter, he was reportedly beaten up by the police till he lost sight in his right eye, it said, adding that he is being treated at the Government Rajai Hospital in Madurai.
"The Commission has observed that the contents of the press report, if true, raise the serious issue of violation of human rights of the victim," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi