Nine convicted for Coimbatore blasts released
Coimbatore: Nine persons, convicted for
their involvement in 1998 serial blasts here which left 58
people dead, were released on Tuesday following Tamil Nadu
government`s decision to grant remission to mark the birth
centenary celebrations of DMK founder CN Annadurai.
The convicts, members of outlawed Al-Umma, were sentenced
to 13 years in jail by a special court for carrying out the
blasts during the visit of BJP leader LK Advani for
electioneering in 1998, jail authorities said.
The state government has ordered release of 10 convicts,
who have completed 10 years of imprisonment.
However, only nine -- Mohammed Ibrahim, Abdul Rahim,
Abdul Faooq, Abbas, Mohammed Rafeek, Abdul Raub, Ashraff,
Bakruddin Ali Ahmed and Shahul Hameed -- were released today.
Shahjahan was not released as he is facing trial in other
cases, the authorities said.
Nineteen bombs went off at different places here,
including one at Advani`s meeting venue, on February 14, 1998.
166 persons were arrested in connection with the blasts.
The Special Court had sentenced 57 persons for various
terms, including life, under various sections of IPC and
Explosives Act and Arms Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in