Nityananda to organise counter-rally
Madurai: Self-styled godman Nityananda, whose appointment as head of the Madurai Adheenam has triggered a controversy, today said he would organise a rally on May 27 to counter the one led by a congress leader protesting his appointment.
"Nellai Kannan has announced organising a rally at Tirunelveli on May 27 and Thevar Federation of Madurai had announced a demonstration the same day at Madurai against us. We will also organise a counter rally and demonstration at Tirunellveli and Madurai respectively the same day", he said.
The Madurai Adheenam would organise a medical camp on June 26 and 27, he added.
Nityananda`s appointment as the head of the 1500 year-old Saivite Mutt here has triggered a controversy. Many religious leaders and political outfits have protested the appointment.
The self-styled godman had landed in controversy after a video footage purportedly showing him in a compromising position with an actress was telecast by local TV channels in March 2010. He was arrested on April 21 from Solan in Himachal Pradesh and granted bail on June 11 the same year by the Karnataka High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say