Nityananda to organise counter-rally
Madurai: Self-styled godman Nityananda, whose appointment as head of the Madurai Adheenam has triggered a controversy, today said he would organise a rally on May 27 to counter the one led by a congress leader protesting his appointment.
"Nellai Kannan has announced organising a rally at Tirunelveli on May 27 and Thevar Federation of Madurai had announced a demonstration the same day at Madurai against us. We will also organise a counter rally and demonstration at Tirunellveli and Madurai respectively the same day", he said.
The Madurai Adheenam would organise a medical camp on June 26 and 27, he added.
Nityananda`s appointment as the head of the 1500 year-old Saivite Mutt here has triggered a controversy. Many religious leaders and political outfits have protested the appointment.
The self-styled godman had landed in controversy after a video footage purportedly showing him in a compromising position with an actress was telecast by local TV channels in March 2010. He was arrested on April 21 from Solan in Himachal Pradesh and granted bail on June 11 the same year by the Karnataka High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!