Nityananda to organise counter-rally
Madurai: Self-styled godman Nityananda, whose appointment as head of the Madurai Adheenam has triggered a controversy, today said he would organise a rally on May 27 to counter the one led by a congress leader protesting his appointment.
"Nellai Kannan has announced organising a rally at Tirunelveli on May 27 and Thevar Federation of Madurai had announced a demonstration the same day at Madurai against us. We will also organise a counter rally and demonstration at Tirunellveli and Madurai respectively the same day", he said.
The Madurai Adheenam would organise a medical camp on June 26 and 27, he added.
Nityananda`s appointment as the head of the 1500 year-old Saivite Mutt here has triggered a controversy. Many religious leaders and political outfits have protested the appointment.
The self-styled godman had landed in controversy after a video footage purportedly showing him in a compromising position with an actress was telecast by local TV channels in March 2010. He was arrested on April 21 from Solan in Himachal Pradesh and granted bail on June 11 the same year by the Karnataka High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue