Nityananda to organise counter-rally
Madurai: Self-styled godman Nityananda, whose appointment as head of the Madurai Adheenam has triggered a controversy, today said he would organise a rally on May 27 to counter the one led by a congress leader protesting his appointment.
"Nellai Kannan has announced organising a rally at Tirunelveli on May 27 and Thevar Federation of Madurai had announced a demonstration the same day at Madurai against us. We will also organise a counter rally and demonstration at Tirunellveli and Madurai respectively the same day", he said.
The Madurai Adheenam would organise a medical camp on June 26 and 27, he added.
Nityananda`s appointment as the head of the 1500 year-old Saivite Mutt here has triggered a controversy. Many religious leaders and political outfits have protested the appointment.
The self-styled godman had landed in controversy after a video footage purportedly showing him in a compromising position with an actress was telecast by local TV channels in March 2010. He was arrested on April 21 from Solan in Himachal Pradesh and granted bail on June 11 the same year by the Karnataka High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon