Nityananda to organise counter-rally
Madurai: Self-styled godman Nityananda, whose appointment as head of the Madurai Adheenam has triggered a controversy, today said he would organise a rally on May 27 to counter the one led by a congress leader protesting his appointment.
"Nellai Kannan has announced organising a rally at Tirunelveli on May 27 and Thevar Federation of Madurai had announced a demonstration the same day at Madurai against us. We will also organise a counter rally and demonstration at Tirunellveli and Madurai respectively the same day", he said.
The Madurai Adheenam would organise a medical camp on June 26 and 27, he added.
Nityananda`s appointment as the head of the 1500 year-old Saivite Mutt here has triggered a controversy. Many religious leaders and political outfits have protested the appointment.
The self-styled godman had landed in controversy after a video footage purportedly showing him in a compromising position with an actress was telecast by local TV channels in March 2010. He was arrested on April 21 from Solan in Himachal Pradesh and granted bail on June 11 the same year by the Karnataka High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29