No alliance matter was discussed with Azad, says Karuna
Chennai: Holding that senior Congress leader and Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad had paid a "friendly" visit to him last week, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Friday said the two had not spoken about the Dravidian leader`s recent statement ruling out alliance with the former ally.
Speaking to reporters here, Karunanidhi said it was usual of Azad to meet him whenever the Union minister visited Tamil Nadu and he had made a similar "friendly visit" last week also.
Asked if they discussed alliance and that if the DMK leader had conveyed to Azad that his party will have no alliance with Congress, he said, "He did not speak about that. Neither did he speak nor did I speak (about allince matters)," he said.
In his party`s December 15 General Council, Karunanidhi had ruled out aligning with the national party, months after it walked out of the UPA alliance over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Karunanidhi welcomed the Centre`s proposal to increase the quota of subsidised cooking cylinders to 12 from 9 per household. "Isnt it good for people?" he asked.
Asked about his Madurai-based son M K Alagiri` supporters denying pasting certain controversial posters in that town, Karunanidhi said he was not aware what those posters were. He did not elaborate.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata