No answering questions in Tamil, DMK ministers told
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha secretariat on Wednesday turned down the request of DMK ministers to answer questions in Tamil but said party MPs could ask questions and make speeches in the language as there was provision for it in the Constitution.
"According to the precedence in the house, the ministers should answer the questions either in English or Hindi," said Lok Sabha secretary general PDT Achary.
Union Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister MK Azhagiri had said in Chennai Tuesday that DMK ministers and MPs had made a request to parliament authorities to allow them to raise and answer questions in Tamil.
"Files containing the answers to questions are written in English and Hindi. So the ministers will have to reply either in English or in Hindi," Achary told a news agency.
Achary, however, said MPs could ask questions and make speeches in their regional languages. "There is provision in the Constitution in this regard. But ministers are not included in this provision."
AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa Monday supported Azhagiri`s request that the Lok Sabha secretariat should extend an `interpreter service` to him to answer the queries of MPs in Tamil. She said ministers who do not know Hindi and English would remain mute spectators if the interpreter service was not extended.
Referring to reports that Azhagiri has been disappearing from the Lok Sabha during Question Hour and his deputy had to reply to the questions, Jayalalithaa had said: "Chief Minister (K) Karunanidhi, who boasts of being the person responsible for getting classical language status to Tamil, has failed to ensure the opportunity for his son to speak in Tamil in the Lok Sabha."
Taking a dig at Karunanidhi, the AIADMK leader also said the Chief Minister failed to safeguard the dignity of Tamil in the Lok Sabha and asked him to withdraw his party from the union cabinet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news