No arrests made in connection with railway track blast: Police
Chennai: No arrests have been made so far in the incident near Villupuram where suspected pro-LTTE elements blasted a railway track, police said on Saturday.
The `Q` branch of Tamil Nadu police, dealing with extremist activities, was helping railway police with the investigations, highly placed officials told a news agency.
Officials on condition of anonymity said "known" persons who were involved in previous such incidents and others under police scanner were being interrogated by Government Railway Police (GRP).
Directions have been issued to Railways and local police
officials to intensify patrolling, they said.
Asked whether the incident would cast a security shadow
on the five-day World Classical Tamil Conference at Coimbatore
starting June 23, they said "all threat perceptions have been
taken account" and adequate measures were in place.
Railway officials had averted a major disaster on
Saturday when an alert crew of the Tiruchirapalli-Chennai
Rockfort Express stopped it on noticing a gap in the tracks.
About three feet of tracks were blown off in the
explosion when the train was coming towards the Perani railway
station in Villupuram district in the wee hours.
Leaflets condemning the recent visit of Sri Lankan
President Mahinda Rajapaksa were found at the site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy