No `lungi`, no votes in TN: Goa MP Shantaram Naik
Panaji: Linking winnability in elections
with how ethnic identity is promoted, Shantaram Naik, Congress
MP from Goa, says no politician can get votes in Tamil Nadu
unless he is clad in a `lungi.`
"In Tamil Nadu, unless a politician wears a lungi, he
does not get votes. If he wears a shirt and pant there, he
loses," Naik commented during a press conference here today.
The Rajya MP also referred to Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram sartorial taste of preferring the white
wrap-around dress `mundu` and said how one has to keep local
traditions in mind to strike an ethnic chord with voters.
The MP, who is a president of All India Konkani Parishad,
was briefing the media on its forthcoming convention in Goa.
Urging Goan leaders to talk in Konkani to appeal to a
mass base, Naik said it is necessary to strike an ethnical
chord with the electorate.
He lamented that politicians in Goa feel that they will
not garner votes, if they speak in Konkani. "We should talk
more Konkani at different forums," Naik said.
Naik vowed that he will speak in Konkani during the
ensuing budget session in Parliament and will make it a point
to talk in this language at least once during each session of
the Upper House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly