No one can create rift in family, says Alagiri
Theni (TN): In what appears to be a patch up bid after going hammer and tongs against his younger brother, expelled DMK leader MK Alagiri on Wednesday claimed differences with MK Stalin were based on policy and principles and nobody can `create a rift in our family relationship.`
Asserting that he had no intention to launch his own party, Alagiri, ousted from DMK last month for anti-party activities, also sought to play the emotional chord saying his father and party chief M Karunanidhi could not disown him as his son.
"Nobody can create a rift in the brotherly relationship with Stalin," said Alagiri, who is cut up with the rising stature of his younger brother, tipped to be the political heir-apparent of Karunanidhi.
"My father could not say I am (Alagiri) not his son", he said and asked "Can he give in writing that I am not his son?," Alagiri, the party`s strongman in southern districts, asked while participating in a function at Cumbum.
He also said "If there is no Karunanidhi..There is no DMK. and I dont have any intention to start a new party," he added.
Alagiri`s comments assume significance as he had been attacking Stalin saying his brother had forced Karunanidhi to expel him. Besides, Alagiri has refused to accept anyone other than Karunanidhi as his leader in the party.
Defending his suspension in January, Karunanidhi had said Alagiri spewed hatred when he remarked that Stalin would die in three months.
"He (Alagiri) has some unknown hatred against Stalin. Alagiri even said Stalin would die in three months. No father can tolerate such words against a son. As the party chief, I had to tolerate them," Karunanidhi had said.
Even after his expulsion, Alagiri has questioned the selection of party candidates for the April 24 Lok Sabha polls hinting at Stalin`s hand in the process and vowed to ensure the defeat of some.
Alagiri, who has been approached by leaders of various political parties for support in the polls, has asked his supporters to ensure the defeat of DMK candidate Pon Muthuramalingam in Theni Lok Sabha constituency.
At Cumbum today, Congress Theni candidate JM Aroon and MDMK nominee Alagu Sundaram met Alagiri and sought his support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr