No privilege proceedings against Nakkeeran Gopal for 3 weeks
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government today gave an undertaking before Madras High Court that state Assembly`s Privileges Committee will not hold any proceedings against Editor of Tamil bi-weekly `Nakkeeran` R R Gopal for a period of three weeks.
Advocate General A Navaneethakrishnan submitted the undertaking which was recorded by the court.
The First Bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Elipe Dharma Rao and Justice M Venugopal posted the matter after three weeks.
The court had earlier directed the Advocate General to submit the guidelines for procedures for conducting Privileges Committee proceedings.
Tamil Nadu Government had filed a writ appeal before the Madras High Court, after the court`s single judge directed the state Legislative Assembly`s Privileges Committee to permit journalist Gopal to appear with an advocate of his choice in the proceedings pending before the committee.
The appeal by the Secretary of the state assembly submitted that the single judge failed to consider the law of privileges is a special law governing the Constitutional Rights and any person who are accused of breach of privileges or contempt have to respond to the notices sent by privileges committee and sought that the single judge`s order be set aside.
Justice K Chandru had on Janaury 21 last allowed journalist `Nakkeeran` Gopal and advocate Edwig petitions and directed the state Legislative Assembly`s Privileges Committee to permit Gopal to appear with an advocate of his choice in the proceedings pending before the committee.
Gopal and Edwig had challenged the January 28 last proceedings of Tamil Nadu Assembly Secretary, which informed Gopal that he himself must give an explanation in writing and also appear before the Privilege Committee for giving statement, for the purpose of giving explanation to the show cause notice issued by the Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway