No privilege proceedings against Nakkeeran Gopal for 3 weeks
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government today gave an undertaking before Madras High Court that state Assembly`s Privileges Committee will not hold any proceedings against Editor of Tamil bi-weekly `Nakkeeran` R R Gopal for a period of three weeks.
Advocate General A Navaneethakrishnan submitted the undertaking which was recorded by the court.
The First Bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Elipe Dharma Rao and Justice M Venugopal posted the matter after three weeks.
The court had earlier directed the Advocate General to submit the guidelines for procedures for conducting Privileges Committee proceedings.
Tamil Nadu Government had filed a writ appeal before the Madras High Court, after the court`s single judge directed the state Legislative Assembly`s Privileges Committee to permit journalist Gopal to appear with an advocate of his choice in the proceedings pending before the committee.
The appeal by the Secretary of the state assembly submitted that the single judge failed to consider the law of privileges is a special law governing the Constitutional Rights and any person who are accused of breach of privileges or contempt have to respond to the notices sent by privileges committee and sought that the single judge`s order be set aside.
Justice K Chandru had on Janaury 21 last allowed journalist `Nakkeeran` Gopal and advocate Edwig petitions and directed the state Legislative Assembly`s Privileges Committee to permit Gopal to appear with an advocate of his choice in the proceedings pending before the committee.
Gopal and Edwig had challenged the January 28 last proceedings of Tamil Nadu Assembly Secretary, which informed Gopal that he himself must give an explanation in writing and also appear before the Privilege Committee for giving statement, for the purpose of giving explanation to the show cause notice issued by the Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!