No reception at Library complex in future: TN
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Monday assured the Madras High Court that "no marriage function or reception" would be organised at the disputed Anna Centenary Library complex, which the ruling AIADMK proposes to convert into a super-speciality paediatric hospital, in future.
Directing Government Pleader S Venkatesh, who had made the submission, to file an affidavit to that effect to enable the court "pass any order on this issue", the First Bench, comprising Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam, said the matter would be considered along with other related writ petitions.
Counsel for a petitioner, challenging government`s move to shift the library from its present location at Kotturpuram to the Directorate of Public Instruction campus, had drawn the attention of the court to reports about the Anna Centenary Library (ACL) being used for a marriage reception yesterday.
Stating that the government pleader had not disputed the fact that the building had been used for the reception, the Bench said there was an interim direction, on a batch of petitions, to the state government against shifting the library and withdrawing any existing facilities.
The dispute with regard to conversion of ACL was pending adjudication of the court, the Bench said.
The government informed the court that it had collected over Rs two lakh for permitting the premises to be used for a reception.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself