No trade off in Cong support to DMK in RS poll: Wasnik
Chennai: Congress on Sunday rejected suggestions that its support to DMK in the Rajya Sabha elections was a tradeoff in return for securing its erstwhile regional ally`s backing for the Food Security Bill.
"Congress does not believe in tradeoffs. Supporting DMK in Rajya Sabha elections was a political one," AICC General Secretary in-charge of party affairs in Tamil Nadu Kerala and Puducherry Mukul Wasnik told reporters here.
He was replying to a query as to whether there was a tradeoff for backing the Food Bill in Congress` support which helped DMK`s Kanimozhi to get elected in the June 27 beinnial polls for a second term in the Upper House of Parliament.
"After careful analysis, this decision (to support the DMK) was taken. The decision was not taken in isolation," he said.
To a query on whether there was possibility of an alliance with the DMK which walked out of UPA over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, he said, "These Only when Parliament elections are closer we can take such decisions."
Asked if Congress would like to have DMDK in its fold, he said, "We can`t take any decision now."
Replying to a query on the rise in fuel prices, he said, "You are aware that the government doesn`t have control on international prices of petrol."
Explaining on party vice president Rahul Gandhi`s aspiration to have 50 per cent women in the All India Congress Committee, he said, "In the AICC, we have few women now. Rahulji expressed that party should move in such direction so that the representation of women in AICC increases.
So, for the next few years, were are going in that direction."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet; Defence Minister undertakes aerial survey
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Catch Jacqueline Fernandez-John Abraham-Varun Dhawan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan released
- Turkey will adhere to democratic principles, rule of law: Deputy PM
- Hallmark, ISI Mark, BEE Label –Know which certification marks are important for products you buy