No trade off in Cong support to DMK in RS poll: Wasnik
Chennai: Congress on Sunday rejected suggestions that its support to DMK in the Rajya Sabha elections was a tradeoff in return for securing its erstwhile regional ally`s backing for the Food Security Bill.
"Congress does not believe in tradeoffs. Supporting DMK in Rajya Sabha elections was a political one," AICC General Secretary in-charge of party affairs in Tamil Nadu Kerala and Puducherry Mukul Wasnik told reporters here.
He was replying to a query as to whether there was a tradeoff for backing the Food Bill in Congress` support which helped DMK`s Kanimozhi to get elected in the June 27 beinnial polls for a second term in the Upper House of Parliament.
"After careful analysis, this decision (to support the DMK) was taken. The decision was not taken in isolation," he said.
To a query on whether there was possibility of an alliance with the DMK which walked out of UPA over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, he said, "These Only when Parliament elections are closer we can take such decisions."
Asked if Congress would like to have DMDK in its fold, he said, "We can`t take any decision now."
Replying to a query on the rise in fuel prices, he said, "You are aware that the government doesn`t have control on international prices of petrol."
Explaining on party vice president Rahul Gandhi`s aspiration to have 50 per cent women in the All India Congress Committee, he said, "In the AICC, we have few women now. Rahulji expressed that party should move in such direction so that the representation of women in AICC increases.
So, for the next few years, were are going in that direction."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared