Nomination of TNCC chief`s wife rejected in scrutiny
Chennai: The nomination of Jayanthi
Thankgabalu, wife of TNCC President KV Thangabalu who is
accused of "favouring undeserving" cases in distribution of
Congress tickets for April 13 Assembly polls, was on Monday
rejected in a city constituency during scrutiny.
Thankgabalu, who had filed his papers as a dummy for
his wife in Mylapore constituency, claimed himself as the
official candidate, though the high command had not given him
Jayanthi had neither signed the nomination papers nor
provided correct information about her assets and cases
pending in court, resulting in the rejection of her papers,
official sources said.
The Election Officer accepted the contention of
Sivakami of Mahila Congress, who filed papers as an
independent, that Jayanthi had not disclosed her position as
the Managing Director of the family-run Tamil channel Mega TV,
and undervalued the market price of land in which a private
engineering college run by her was located on city outskirts.
Thankgabalu has been facing the ire of Congressmen who
have been protesting against him in different parts of the
state accusing him of giving tickets to "undeserving partymen
and new comers" at Krishnagiri and Vilavancode, besides
getting his wife nominated.
The nomination of Jayanthi has triggered the most
vocal protests as it overlooked claims of several Congressmen,
including sitting MLA, S Vee Sekar, who had recently joined
the party, and former deputy mayor of Chennai Karate R
Thiygarjan, a loyalist of Union Home Minister P Chidambaram.
Thankgabalu told reporters that he would be lodging a
complaint with the Election Commission on the rejection of his
wife`s nomination papers.
He claimed his wife had filed four sets of nomination
papers, but only two were now available with the Election
Officer. He wanted to know the mystery behind the missing of
the other two sets of nomination papers.
Thankgabalu faced allegations that he had suppressed
facts from the high command while getting tickets which had
put a question mark on transparency and his integrity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal