Non-bailable warrant against Jayalalithaa stayed
Cuddalore: A court here has stayed a non-bailable warrant (NBW) issued by a lower court against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa in a case relating to her filing nominations for 2001 Assembly Elections.
Principal Sessions Judge K Uthirapathy stayed the June 2011 order issued by the Parangipettai Judicial magistrate till January 19, 2012 even as Supreme Court had ordered status quo in the case in 2007.
The matter relates to a case filed by the Returning Officer of the Bhuvanagiri Assembly constituency for alleged violation by Jayalalithaa in filing nominations from Andipatti, Krishnagiri, Bhuvanagiri and Pudukottai constituencies ahead of the 2001 elections.
Former DMK MP C Kuppuswamy had moved the Madras High Court seeking action against her holding that she had filed nominations from more than two constituencies.
The HC had in 2007 directed the Election Commission to file cases in relevant courts.
Jayalalithaa moved the Supreme Court which stayed proceedings. However, Judicial magistrate R Komathy had ordered issue of NBW against her for non-appearance in court in June 2011. She had stayed the NBW, but did not exempt Jayalalithaa from personal appearance.
When the matter came up before the magistrate early this week, the magistrate insisted on Jayalalithaa`s appearance. The AIADMK supremo subsequently moved the Principal Sessions Judge in Cuddalore on Thursday, seeking a stay on the lower court order and praying for the withdrawal of the NBW.
Government pleader Charlesraj filed a petition before the Principal Sessions Judge stating since the apex court had stayed criminal proceedings against the Chief Minister, and prayed for stay of the lower court order, seeking that the NBW be withdrawn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand