Non-bailable warrant against Jayalalithaa stayed
Cuddalore: A court here has stayed a non-bailable warrant (NBW) issued by a lower court against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa in a case relating to her filing nominations for 2001 Assembly elections.
Principal Sessions Judge K Uthirapathy stayed the June 2011
order issued by the Parangipettai Judicial magistrate till
January 19, 2012 even as the Supreme Court had ordered status
quo in the case in 2007.
The matter relates to a case filed by the Returning Officer
of the Bhuvanagiri Assembly constituency for alleged violation
by Jayalalithaa in filing nominations from Andipatti,
Krishnagiri, Bhuvanagiri and Pudukottai constituencies ahead
of the 2001 elections.
Former DMK MP C Kuppuswamy had moved the Madras High Court
seeking action against her holding that she had filed
nominations from more than two constituencies.
The HC had in 2007 directed the Election Commission to file
cases in relevant courts.
Jayalalithaa moved the Supreme Court which stayed
proceedings. However, Judicial magistrate R Komathy had
ordered issue of NBW against her for non-appearance in court
in June 2011. She had stayed the NBW, but did not exempt
Jayalalithaa from personal appearance.
When the matter came up before the magistrate early this
week, the magistrate insisted on Jayalalithaa`s appearance.
The AIADMK supremo subsequently moved the Principal
Sessions Judge in Cuddalore on Thursday, seeking a stay on the
lower court order and praying for the withdrawal of the NBW.
Government pleader Charlesraj filed a petition before the
Principal Sessions Judge stating since the apex court had
stayed criminal proceedings against the Chief Minister, and
prayed for stay of the lower court order, seeking that the NBW
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'