Normal life unaffected in BJP sponsored TN bandh
Chennai: Normal life remained unaffected during the state-wide bandh called by the BJP against a senior party functionary`s murder.
BJP had called for the bandh today to protest the murder of its Tamil Nadu unit General Secretary V Ramesh (52) in Salem on Friday. He was attacked using sharp-edged weapons and there were 17 stab injuries on his body.
Police suspect the role of three persons, including two accused in a case of planting pipe bomb in BJP veteran L K Advani`s yatra route in Madurai in 2011.
In Chennai, shops remained open and private and government vehicles plied as usual. Senior functionaries, including former state unit president L Ganesan, were arrested for trying to stage protests without permission.
Most of the shops remained closed in Kanyakumari district but buses plied as usual, with long distance services being given police protection. In Salem, most of the private schools remained closed while normal life was not affected.
Minor stone pelting incidents were reported from Coimbatore and Erode.
Commercial establishments were largely closed in Tirupur, Erode, Nagapattinam and Coimbatore districts, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31