Normalcy returns to Rameswaram after clash
Rameswaram: Normalcy returned to this temple town, which witnessed clashes between two groups of autorickshaw drivers of a particular community on Friday, leading to injuries to 10 people, including five policemen.
Police said a lodge, a wedding hall, a petrol bunk and some vehicles, including a government bus, were damaged in the clashes after the groups pelted stones and set them ablaze.
The groups, armed with petrol bombs and country arms, went on a rampage and forcibly closed down shops and hotels in the town
Police said 64 persons from both groups had been arrested. However, people in Kanthamanandhaparvam area blocked traffic demanding their release of those arrested. Shops and hotels had been reopened this morning.
Top police officials are camping in the town to monitor the situation, they said, adding a search is on to nab some more persons.
The clash ensued after an argument between the groups over who should take a pilgrim wanting to engage an autorickshaw.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview