Normalcy returns to Rameswaram after clash
Rameswaram: Normalcy returned to this temple town, which witnessed clashes between two groups of autorickshaw drivers of a particular community on Friday, leading to injuries to 10 people, including five policemen.
Police said a lodge, a wedding hall, a petrol bunk and some vehicles, including a government bus, were damaged in the clashes after the groups pelted stones and set them ablaze.
The groups, armed with petrol bombs and country arms, went on a rampage and forcibly closed down shops and hotels in the town
Police said 64 persons from both groups had been arrested. However, people in Kanthamanandhaparvam area blocked traffic demanding their release of those arrested. Shops and hotels had been reopened this morning.
Top police officials are camping in the town to monitor the situation, they said, adding a search is on to nab some more persons.
The clash ensued after an argument between the groups over who should take a pilgrim wanting to engage an autorickshaw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!