Normalcy returns to Rameswaram after clash
Rameswaram: Normalcy returned to this temple town, which witnessed clashes between two groups of autorickshaw drivers of a particular community on Friday, leading to injuries to 10 people, including five policemen.
Police said a lodge, a wedding hall, a petrol bunk and some vehicles, including a government bus, were damaged in the clashes after the groups pelted stones and set them ablaze.
The groups, armed with petrol bombs and country arms, went on a rampage and forcibly closed down shops and hotels in the town
Police said 64 persons from both groups had been arrested. However, people in Kanthamanandhaparvam area blocked traffic demanding their release of those arrested. Shops and hotels had been reopened this morning.
Top police officials are camping in the town to monitor the situation, they said, adding a search is on to nab some more persons.
The clash ensued after an argument between the groups over who should take a pilgrim wanting to engage an autorickshaw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!