Normalcy returns to Rameswaram after clash
Rameswaram: Normalcy returned to this temple town, which witnessed clashes between two groups of autorickshaw drivers of a particular community on Friday, leading to injuries to 10 people, including five policemen.
Police said a lodge, a wedding hall, a petrol bunk and some vehicles, including a government bus, were damaged in the clashes after the groups pelted stones and set them ablaze.
The groups, armed with petrol bombs and country arms, went on a rampage and forcibly closed down shops and hotels in the town
Police said 64 persons from both groups had been arrested. However, people in Kanthamanandhaparvam area blocked traffic demanding their release of those arrested. Shops and hotels had been reopened this morning.
Top police officials are camping in the town to monitor the situation, they said, adding a search is on to nab some more persons.
The clash ensued after an argument between the groups over who should take a pilgrim wanting to engage an autorickshaw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday