Normalcy returns to Rameswaram; shops open
Rameswaram: Normalcy returned to this island town, which witnessed violent clashes between two groups of autorickshaw drivers for the past three days, with all shops opening on Monday.
The clash ensued after an argument between the groups over who should take a pilgrim wanting to engage an autorickshaw.
Superintendent of Police Mayilvahanan said 66 persons have so far been arrested for hurling petrol bombs, setting ablaze a lodge, wedding hall and damaging a petrol bunk.
Eleven cases have been filed against 200 persons using video footage and other vital evidence, he said.
A total of 200 policemen, many of them armed, had been deployed to monitor the situation and take severe action against the miscreants, he said.
The clashes on March 22 caused hardship to pilgrims and all eateries were closed. Even the striking police had to take food at the temple `Anna dhanam` hall as they could not be provided food elsewhere, temple officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video