Normalcy returns to Rameswaram; shops open
Rameswaram: Normalcy returned to this island town, which witnessed violent clashes between two groups of autorickshaw drivers for the past three days, with all shops opening on Monday.
The clash ensued after an argument between the groups over who should take a pilgrim wanting to engage an autorickshaw.
Superintendent of Police Mayilvahanan said 66 persons have so far been arrested for hurling petrol bombs, setting ablaze a lodge, wedding hall and damaging a petrol bunk.
Eleven cases have been filed against 200 persons using video footage and other vital evidence, he said.
A total of 200 policemen, many of them armed, had been deployed to monitor the situation and take severe action against the miscreants, he said.
The clashes on March 22 caused hardship to pilgrims and all eateries were closed. Even the striking police had to take food at the temple `Anna dhanam` hall as they could not be provided food elsewhere, temple officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi