North-East monsoon active over coastal TN: Met office
Chennai: The North-East Monsoon, which
provides bulk of the rainfall to Tamil Nadu, has commenced
over the state, Meteorological department said on Thursday.
"Northeast monsoon rains commenced over Tamil Nadu and
adjoining parts of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala. It
has been active over Coastal Tamil Nadu," the Met office said.
The official declaration by the weather office came a day
after it said "favourable conditions" for the onset of the
monsoon had set in following pre-monsoon rains since early
hours of Wednesday, ending an extended hot and humid season.
Rains had lashed parts of the state including Chennai, with
some streets remaining inundated.Rains continued till late
night before the sun came out this morning.
The department has forecast isolated heavy rains over
coastal Tamil Nadu and Puducherry in the next 48 hours,
beginning 0830 hrs today.
According to Met office, Kollidam (Nagapattinam district)
recorded rainfall of 7 cms, followed by Chengalpattu
(Kanchipuram) and Gingee (Villupuram) with 6 cm each,
and Sriperumpudur (Kanchipuram), Cuddalore, Tiruvarur and
Sirkali (Nagapattinam) five cm each in the 24 hours ending
0830 hrs today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III