North East Monsoon brings copious rains to TN
Chennai: The active North-East monsoon
continued to bring copious rains to Tamil Nadu with forecast
of more rain as Chief Minister Jayalalithaa deputed ministers
to review the rain-preparedness activities in 12 districts.
While there has been no significant damage caused in the
ongoing monsoon, the Chief Minister today directed Ministers
to review the preparedness in 12 coastal districts of the
state, except Chennai, a government press release here said.
Jayalalithaa deputed cabinet colleagues including Ministers
C Ve Shanmugam, BV Ramana and R Vaithilingam among others to
coastal districts such as Villupuram, Tiruvallore, Pudukottai,
Thanjavur, Cuddalore and Tirivarur.
Meanwhile, the regional Met office said the North East
monsoon, which brings the bulk of rain to Tamil Nadu and which
set in over the state last week, was `active` and forecast
further heavy rainfall in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
Sirkali and Pamban received a maximum of 9 CM,according to
observations at 0830 hrs, while Chennai received 6.4 MM.
Following a good south-west monsoon, most water bodies and
dams have good storage. The north-east monsoon has brought in
copious rains, resulting in rivers and other storage bodies
reaching their maximum levels.
Standing crops in Cauvery delta districts including Tanjore
and Tiruchirappally, Tuticorin and Tirunelveli were damaged in
heavy rains and resultant inundation of fields.
A Cuddalore report said over 10,000 hectares of paddy crop
were submerged in heavy rains in Chidambaram, Kattumannarkovil
and Kurinjipadi taluks in the district while lignite
excavation at Neyveli Lignite Corporation was affected.
Besides, about 3,000 hectares of black gram crop had been
submerged in Chidambaram, V Govinda Rajan, Agricultural
Officer of Chidambaram said.
G Ganesan,Deputy General Manager (Mines) NLC, said lignite
excavation in three mines had been affected for the past three
days as they were partly submerged.
PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss urged the government to press the
Centre to ensure compensation for farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!