Notice to centre, TN on plea for fishermen`s protection
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday issued notice to the centre and Tamil Nadu on a petition seeking protection to fishermen from the state from being captured by the Sri Lankan Navy.
"Not only they captured the fishermen, but also damaged their boats" and it takes months before they are released, said the Apex Court bench of Chief Justice P Sathasivam and Justice Ranjan Gogoi.
Issuing the notice returnable in four weeks, Chief Justice Sathasivam said: "We are happy that all the MPs of Tamil Nadu cutting across their party affiliations are united on the issue."
In a poser, the court said is it not possible to solve the issue politically or diplomatically.
The court was moved by DMK MP AKH Vijayan and another MP belonging to AIADMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...