Number of voters in TN cross five crore figure
Chennai: For the first time, the number of
voters in Tamil Nadu crossed five crore with a net addition of
30 lakh new voters, a top official said on Thursday.
"As per the final rolls of special summary revision 2012,
the total electorate in Tamil Nadu is 504.31 lakh (5.04
crore)," Chief Electoral officer Praveen Kumar said.
Speaking to reporters here, he said that of this figure,
253.35 lakh were men and 250.93 lakh women and 2175 others,
There were 21 overseas voters.
During the revision period, over 38 lakh claims were
received and a little over 33 lakh names admitted for
inclusion of names he said, adding, 2.53 lakh names were
deleted during this period for reasons including death and
"There is a net addition of 30.72 lakh names in the final
roll of special summary revision 2012, " he added.
The Electoral photo identity cards for those whose names
have been included will be given on January 25 on the occasion
of National Voters` Day, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: PM Modi beating drums in Meghalaya
- BJP slams UP government over firing on ex-justice's car
- PM Modi pays tribute to V D Savarkar on birth anniversary
- Star cast of Jimmy Sheirgill's 'Shorgul' out in this brand new poster! – View pic
- Caught on camera: Gram Panchayat president attempting to rape woman in Mandya