Odisha: Kidnapped 9-year old girl rescued
Jajpur (Odisha): A nine-year-old school girl, allegedly kidnapped for ransom from Vyas Nagar town in Odisha`s Jajpur district, was rescued by police and two of her kidnappers arrested, police said Sunday.
The girl was kidnapped in front of her school at Vyas Nagar town on Friday afternoon and the kidnappers had demanded Rs 10 lakh for her release.
The arrested persons have been identified as Tapas Das (22) and Mahammad Noor (21) of Sapagadia village. They were forwarded to the court after being arrested yesterday and remanded to judicial custody for two weeks, police said.
According to complaint filed with police by the father of the victim, his nine-year-old daughter, a class three student of Saint Mary School at Kanheipur in the municipal town went missing in front of her school on Friday afternoon.
As the girl did not return home by school bus his wife got nervous and telephoned him about the incident. They immediately checked with the driver of the school bus who said that child was picked up by someone.
“In the mean time a call came to my mobile phone from an unknown number and the caller demanded Rs 10 lakh ransom to release my daughter. Then I came to know that it was a kidnap and accordingly I rushed to the local police station and lodged a complaint in this regard,” said girl`s father Lala Anjan Anurag, who works as a manager in a private company.
“As we got the cell phone number of the caller, we verified it. Finally we traced the kidnappers, nabbed two of them and rescued the girl," Deepak Kumar, Superintendent of Police of Jajpur, said.
Efforts were on to nab some others involved in the kidnapping, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today