One lakh people take holy dip in Rameswaram sea
Rameswaram: An estimated one lakh pilgrims from different parts of the country today took a holy dip in the `agnitheertham` sea here and worshipped their forefathers on the auspicious occasion of `Thai amavasya` (new moon day).
The pilgrims also took bath in all the 22 holy wells in the Lord Sri Ramanathaswamy temple in this island.
The Presiding deity of the temple was taken in a procession in Rishaba Vahanam to the sea, where `theerthavari` (Purification ceremony) was performed for the deity.
A 65-year old devotee from Kolkata died of heart attack early this morning.
Kalyan Sardar, a retired teacher, died at a lodge where he along with his wife and a group of people from Kolkata were staying, police said.
A report from Nagapattinam said, thousands of devotees took a holy dip in the Bay of Bengal at Kodiakarai, Vedaranyam and Poompuhar in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble