One lakh people take holy dip in Rameswaram sea
Rameswaram: An estimated one lakh pilgrims from different parts of the country today took a holy dip in the `agnitheertham` sea here and worshipped their forefathers on the auspicious occasion of `Thai amavasya` (new moon day).
The pilgrims also took bath in all the 22 holy wells in the Lord Sri Ramanathaswamy temple in this island.
The Presiding deity of the temple was taken in a procession in Rishaba Vahanam to the sea, where `theerthavari` (Purification ceremony) was performed for the deity.
A 65-year old devotee from Kolkata died of heart attack early this morning.
Kalyan Sardar, a retired teacher, died at a lodge where he along with his wife and a group of people from Kolkata were staying, police said.
A report from Nagapattinam said, thousands of devotees took a holy dip in the Bay of Bengal at Kodiakarai, Vedaranyam and Poompuhar in the district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference