One lakh people take holy dip in Rameswaram sea
Rameswaram: An estimated one lakh pilgrims from different parts of the country today took a holy dip in the `agnitheertham` sea here and worshipped their forefathers on the auspicious occasion of `Thai amavasya` (new moon day).
The pilgrims also took bath in all the 22 holy wells in the Lord Sri Ramanathaswamy temple in this island.
The Presiding deity of the temple was taken in a procession in Rishaba Vahanam to the sea, where `theerthavari` (Purification ceremony) was performed for the deity.
A 65-year old devotee from Kolkata died of heart attack early this morning.
Kalyan Sardar, a retired teacher, died at a lodge where he along with his wife and a group of people from Kolkata were staying, police said.
A report from Nagapattinam said, thousands of devotees took a holy dip in the Bay of Bengal at Kodiakarai, Vedaranyam and Poompuhar in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state