One lakh people take holy dip in Rameswaram sea
Rameswaram: An estimated one lakh pilgrims from different parts of the country today took a holy dip in the `agnitheertham` sea here and worshipped their forefathers on the auspicious occasion of `Thai amavasya` (new moon day).
The pilgrims also took bath in all the 22 holy wells in the Lord Sri Ramanathaswamy temple in this island.
The Presiding deity of the temple was taken in a procession in Rishaba Vahanam to the sea, where `theerthavari` (Purification ceremony) was performed for the deity.
A 65-year old devotee from Kolkata died of heart attack early this morning.
Kalyan Sardar, a retired teacher, died at a lodge where he along with his wife and a group of people from Kolkata were staying, police said.
A report from Nagapattinam said, thousands of devotees took a holy dip in the Bay of Bengal at Kodiakarai, Vedaranyam and Poompuhar in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users