One lakh people take holy dip in Rameswaram sea
Rameswaram: An estimated one lakh pilgrims from different parts of the country today took a holy dip in the `agnitheertham` sea here and worshipped their forefathers on the auspicious occasion of `Thai amavasya` (new moon day).
The pilgrims also took bath in all the 22 holy wells in the Lord Sri Ramanathaswamy temple in this island.
The Presiding deity of the temple was taken in a procession in Rishaba Vahanam to the sea, where `theerthavari` (Purification ceremony) was performed for the deity.
A 65-year old devotee from Kolkata died of heart attack early this morning.
Kalyan Sardar, a retired teacher, died at a lodge where he along with his wife and a group of people from Kolkata were staying, police said.
A report from Nagapattinam said, thousands of devotees took a holy dip in the Bay of Bengal at Kodiakarai, Vedaranyam and Poompuhar in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered