One more Alagiri aide detained under Goondas Act
Madurai: A close associate of Union Minister M
K Alagiri was on Thursday detained under the Goondas Act following a
series of complaints of extortion, criminal intimidation and
robbery against him, police said.
`Attack` Pandi is the second close associate of Alagiri to
be detained under the Act after `Pottu` Suresh, personal
assistant (political) to the DMK leader, was also booked on
land grabbing charges.
Pandi is already in prison in connection with a land
Police said they had received some more complaints of
extortion and criminal intimidation against Pandi after his
imprisonment, forcing them to detain him under Goondas Act.
Cases had been registered against him under sections
506(2) (Criminal intimidation), and 320 (Grievous hurt) of the
IPC, they said.
Pandi is also one of the accused in the Dinakaran newspaper
office attack case, which left three persons dead, they said.
Three employees of Dinakaran, a Tamil daily, lost their
lives in the attack on the office on May 9, 2007 following the
publication of a survey that gave an edge to former Deputy
Chief Minister and Karunanidhi`s son M K Stalin over his
brother Alagiri to succeed their father.
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state