Online prostitution racket busted in Chennai
Chennai: Police today busted an online prostitution racket with the arrest of a pimp and rescued a woman from Kolkata who was allegedly forced into the flesh trade.
The police action came as part of their efforts to curb prostitution, especially being run online, a statement by city police said.
Posing as a customer, police called up a number on a particular website where the person on the other end asked them to come to a particular place at Velachery area here.
A team of policemen following them immediately rounded up the two accused, identified as Ajay Kumar, and Ranjan Parekh of Odisha.
During interrogation it was revealed that Kumar had been in the trade for the last 10 years and had been frequently changing identities to evade law-enforcing agency, police said.
Ten mobile phones and a laptop besides other equipment were recovered from Kumar, who along with Parekh was later lodged in Puzhal prison.
The rescued woman was sent to a government home, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss