Opposition DMK evicted from TN Assembly
Chennai: Members of the opposition DMK were
evicted from the Tamil Nadu Assembly on Saturday for disrupting
proceedings, even as they alleged a ruling AIADMK legislator
had thrown a book at them in the House.
Trouble started after DMK leader Duraimurugan protested
against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s remarks about a senior
DMK leader without mentioning his name.
Speaker D Jayakumar said the Chief Minister had not
mentioned any individual`s name and refused permission for the
DMK to talk. At one point, members of DMK and AIADMK shouted
slogans at each other.
DMK members were up on their feet demanding the Speaker to
allow Duraimurugan to respond. The Speaker soon ordered the
Assembly marshals to evict the party members.
"They suspended Opposition Leader Vijaykanth from the
Assembly for raising his voice. Will the Speaker act against
the AIADMK legislator who threw books at us? As we can see,
there is no security for Opposition members," Duraimurugan
later told reporters outside the Assembly.
"Ruling party member Vetrivel threw books on our members.
If ruling members attack us in front of the Chief Minister,
Speaker and members of the Opposition, does this Assembly have
democracy?" he asked.
Earlier, Jayalalithaa without mentioning DMK chief M
Karunanidhi slammed him for stating that his party`s loss in
the April 2011 elections was that of the people.
She said the people`s verdict is final in a democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!