Outstanding debts include period of AIADMK rule: Karuna
Chennai: Hitting back at his archrival and
AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa for her criticism on outstanding
debts, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Sunday said the
sum of over Rs one lakh crore also included the period of her
"The sum of Rs 1,01,541 crore is not completely
incurred by DMK alone. It also includes debts incurred during
the Jayalalithaa government," he said in DMK mouthpiece
Jayalaithaa had slammed the interim budget presented
by state finance minister K Anbazhagan on Saturday.
Karunanidhi also recalled that the increase in debt in
the five-year period from 2006-10 had been estimated at Rs
44,084 crore and capital expenditure at Rs 44,667 crore.
"This shows that the whole of the mobilised debt has
been utilised for productive purposes," he said.
On her charge that no concrete steps had been
announced to counter Kerala`s plan of going ahead with the
construction of a new dam on Mullaperiar river, he said that
while Kerala made the announcement on Friday, Tamil Nadu
responded on Saturday itself when he made a submission in the
The chief minister indicated it was not possible to
include the announcement in the Assembly overnight.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists