Outstanding debts include period of AIADMK rule: Karuna
Chennai: Hitting back at his archrival and
AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa for her criticism on outstanding
debts, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Sunday said the
sum of over Rs one lakh crore also included the period of her
"The sum of Rs 1,01,541 crore is not completely
incurred by DMK alone. It also includes debts incurred during
the Jayalalithaa government," he said in DMK mouthpiece
Jayalaithaa had slammed the interim budget presented
by state finance minister K Anbazhagan on Saturday.
Karunanidhi also recalled that the increase in debt in
the five-year period from 2006-10 had been estimated at Rs
44,084 crore and capital expenditure at Rs 44,667 crore.
"This shows that the whole of the mobilised debt has
been utilised for productive purposes," he said.
On her charge that no concrete steps had been
announced to counter Kerala`s plan of going ahead with the
construction of a new dam on Mullaperiar river, he said that
while Kerala made the announcement on Friday, Tamil Nadu
responded on Saturday itself when he made a submission in the
The chief minister indicated it was not possible to
include the announcement in the Assembly overnight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested